Welcome to the Web Site of the Chelmsford and Mid-Essex Branch of CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
The Branch covers an area centred on Chelmsford and includes the towns of Braintree and Witham.
Message from Branch Chairman, Doug Irons
Sad news to hear that Chris Pollard, affectionately known as Podge, passed away on 19th August 2018.
Podge did so much for the Chelmsford and Mid-Essex CAMRA Branch.
He took the Chelmsford Summer Beer Festival outside, the Winter Beer Festival to King Edward VI School, initiated the Branch Recommended Pub Guide and started our Thirsty Times magazine. These are just some of the things he brought to the Branch during his time of over 25 years as Chairman.
Podge and Siobhan introduced Belgium and Belgian Beer to many of our Branch and other CAMRA members. Taking us to places in Belgium that we had never heard of, yet there was always an interesting bar or brewery serving good beer. I'm sure we all have good memories of going on a Podge trip. I know I do.
We will never forget the Colourful Shirts, the Pickled eggs, the Cheese and some of his sayings like "How do" or "Move on", especially when he was Branch Chairman.
We will sadly miss Podge.
Podge certainly lived up to his slogan, " Driving people to drink since 1994". Well, Podge, you did and I'm sure you will be driving the Angels too.
So please raise your glass to PODGE.
Congratulations to The Railway Tavern, winner of our Branch Pub of the Year Award 2018,
and The Compasses, Littley Green, runner-up. Highly commended was The Hop Beer Shop.
Congratulations also to The Hop Beer Shop, winner of our Branch Cider Pub of the Year 2018 Award,
The Compasses, Littley Green, runner-up and The Three Elms, highly commended.
We voted The Eagle, Galleywood, our Most Improved Pub 2018.
The branch has won a National Award for cider campaigning and here's how we did it.
If you love your local pub and want to protect it from demolition or change of use,
please contact one of our pub campaigns officers at email@example.com
to find out how to list it with your local Council as an Asset of Community Value (ACV).
Next Branch Social Event:
- Preview drinks at Woolpack
Wednesday 22 August 2018 20:00
- Preview drinks at Woolpack Woolpack, Chelmsford Wednesday 22 August 2018 20:00
See the Branch Diary for more social events.
East Anglia Region of CAMRA and its upcoming Beer Festivals
Twitter / chelmsfordCAMRA
- Friday, 20:04 : Woodbine at Waltham Abbey wins East Anglia Cider pub of the year. Presentation 12.30pm Sunday 19th August. All welcome.
- Monday 9th July, 08:57 : Probably the longest and biggest cider bar in East Anglia. Oh and we have beer too.#cider # beer fest #chelmsford… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Saturday 24th February, 10:53 : Superp news for Local Brewery #BishopNick from @braintree today. Two Gold awards from the Champion Beer of East Ang… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Thursday 15th February 2018, 19:45 : The Railway Tavern in Chelmsford wins our Pub of the year. Congratulations to Jo and everyone at this excellent pu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Tuesday 13th February 2018, 18:51 : Hi just to Confirm that food is available at our preview evening tonight. #Hopleaf #beer and cider festival#Chelmsf… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…